Monday, February 20, 2012

Elliptical, check.

I'm starting my fourth week of working out regularly in the gym! Woot woot!

My fitness instructor said we'd re-measure me after six weeks, and I'm pretty eager to see how it's going. Two and a half weeks to go. I feel good about it - though sometimes it feels like 2 steps forward, 1 step back because working out so hard makes my appetite sky rocket and sort of puts that false sense of justification in your head on the weekends. (sort of like "I did the elliptical 4 times this week so I can eat 4 pieces of pizza"...yikes.)

But I've been going either 3 or 4 times a week for over an hour each time. Last week was only twice because I was sick and then was out of town, and the days just weren't available. But anything is better than nothing! That was my motto starting out and I want to encourage you with it too - if you think working out is pointless because you can't dedicate hours a day or even a week to it - you're wrong. Even ten minutes a day will benefit more than 0 minutes a day. Think about it! There's also something to be said about the endorphins.

I've been averaging 30 minutes/3 miles on the elliptical (we have such a love-hate relationship right now) and then 30 minutes on different weight machines, that cover all areas of the body.

Funny - I go to the gym full of dread knowing what's coming, dreading the sweat and the exhaustion and the panting - and leave feeling fantastic. It's definitely worth it. Even if I get re-measured in a few weeks and don't see the full results I had hoped, I know this is still a great thing I'm doing and I CAN see the difference, even if there won't be a bunch of set numbers to document it.

(PS - music really really helps while working out!)

How are you doing on your fitness goals this year? Or other non-health related New Years Resolutions?

1 comment:

Tonya said...

If there are certain foods you love that are "bad" for you, you could look for healthier substitutes. I have some food allergies/intolerances and have found some substitutes that don't feel like I'm missing out at all. Did you know you can make pretty great soft serve ice from frozen bananas??! However, pizza is one I haven't found a sub for :( oh, how i miss pizza.

I'm doing good with my exercise in that I'm doing it. I have seem improvements but it's slow, very very slow. I've been say "slow progress is better than no progress" 
And i love listening to Superchick!