Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Have you seen Soul Surfer?

I watched the movie Soul Surfer the other night (AFTER my daughter went to bed thank goodness, because it was realistically gory for a shark bite). Have you seen it? What did you think?

I really enjoyed the movie and the message of hope and victory. Knowing it was a true story really stuck on me and kept a lump in my throat throughout. I'm so proud that it was such a quality movie. Sometimes the Christian-themed movies get the short end of the stick (I know we all loved Fireproof but the acting took a lot of heat from reviews!) I thought the acting in this one was great, thanks to the youthful main character, and the solidness of Helen Hunt and Dennis Quaid. (though poor Carrie Underwood got all the corny lines throughout. Still, could have been worse. And it was awesome she participated!)

There's a scene in the movie where the heroine is starting to work out, one armed, building her strength for her big surf competition. She's doing one-armed pushups with assistance from her dad, crunches, jogging, etc.

Then she does this one move that made me pause the movie and tell my husband "Oh my GOSH I hope my trainer hasn't seen this movie 'cause she's gonna make me try it!" She did a sit up INTO a stand-up. Yep. Laid on her back, did a crunch/situp, and stood up as she went in one fluid motion, then back down and repeat. Zero assistance. No touching the floor, no crossing your ankles to help you stand, nada. Just up and up.

Well of course it stuck in my head so at the gym yesterday, I had to try. I'm a glutton for punishment.

One word...

Ow.

Do you know how many times I fell backward on my butt? I don't either, because I stopped counting ;) It doesn't look nearly as impossible as it really is. And the whole time I was grunting at the gym and bruising my tailbone, I kept thinking "good grief, a one-armed teenager can do this but I can't?!!" It kept me going though, and I kept trying - even later that night, hours after the gym.

I finally did it! The secret is being barefoot - your toes can better grip the floor than in running shoes. I had to use my arms as momentum (putting them over my head while on floor, then propelling them forward as I crunched and stood) so my next goal is to do one with my arms crossed over my chest so they don't "help".

Woohoo!

Thank you, Bethany Hamilton ;)

ANYWAY. I think the best part of the movie was the end reel, where they showed clips of home video footage of the real Bethany Hamilton training, recovering, and surfing with her injury. AMAZING. So inspiring. Such a story! I highly recommend.

(though if blood and realistic injuries freak you out, watch through your fingers during that part)

2 comments:

emii said...

loved the movie! and agreed about carrie underwood's lines. ;)

"i don't need easy. i just need possible." my favorite line. or the only one i remember but you know.

and hey congratulations on getting that excercise right! i probably would've given up too easy... so you inspire me :)

Dionna said...

Love Soul Surfer so much that I bought it. It's become one of my favorite movies for so many reasons. :)