Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A local artist...

Writing is definitely an art form. But I've always been so impressed with people who can express art through drawing, painting, sketching, sculpting, etc.

Therefore, I'm pleased to introduce to you today my friend Haley Reese McKeehan, who is a local artist and school teacher here in northern Louisiana. Haley and I go way back, and she's got so much talent! Who knows what God has planned for her future. =)

Check out this interview with Haley and if you're interested in her prices and projects, shoot her an email at haleymarie1130@bellsouth.net

Did you always know you wanted to be an artist?

Yes, I have always loved art! I enjoyed going to art class as a child, loved it as a college student, and find it absolutely fabulous as the teacher! Art allows you to come up with an idea, travel to a new place in your mind, and end up with a masterpiece all your own.

Beautifully said. So what is your specialty? painting? Sketching? Etc.

I am pretty good with painting and drawing/sketching. I must say, my true passion would be painting. I love the flow of the paint at the end of the brush. Painting allows you to make mistakes and then challenges you to find ways to correct them.

Tell us what its like to be an art teacher in todays schools. Fav parts? Least fav parts?

I need to start by stating that I completely and totally love my job! Being an art teacher in today’s schools is usually pretty interesting because you never know what kids are going to do. Many of my students have never had the opportunity to study art under a trained art teacher and this is very upsetting to me. Although, it does give me the chance to show them many things, which in return, is very rewarding. I find that most of the students love art and all the fun things that come with it.

My favorite parts: watching the students eyes light up when they realize they really can do it, seeing that excitement and pride fill their face knowing there are no mistakes and their work is beautiful!

My least favorite parts: the student that refuses to try because he/she has a bad attitude – this usually stems from a deeper problem which is also very upsetting. I can’t stand to see the hurt in their eyes knowing that home probably isn’t the most comforting place for them.

What inspires your creations?

I often just think of something I would like to hang in my home and run with the idea. I must admit, I have also seen something out and thought I can do that. Then I go home and try it just to see.

If you were to describe yourself as a color, which would you be?

I would totally be yellow! I would be yellow because I think of it as a happy color, a bright color, and a warming color. Yellow can brighten up your dark days like the rising sun after a storm and warm your cold days like the snow melting after winter. Yellow always seems to make me smile.

Do you have anything for sale right now you can share with us? What sort of prices do you offer?

Currently, I do not have any pieces ready for sale as I create them per request. I have recently done several monogrammed plaques for couples and a farm mural for a child’s room.

Prices vary per order – smaller signs/plaques usually start at $20 and go up according to how detailed. Larger pieces can be anywhere from $40 and up – it depends on the medium, subject matter, and size.

Thanks Haley! Best wishes with your career!

No comments: