Thursday, July 29, 2010

In a blink...

Funny how fast things can change, and then how fast they don't!

I was leaving dinner with my parents last night and my mom called ten minutes before I got home, and said my Pappaw said my grandmother had some stroke like symptoms and they had gone to the hospital. Apparently she was sitting in her chair reading or relaxing before they went to dinner and her arm went numb and speech slurred slightly. Happened twice, close together, each episode very short, about 15-30 seconds Pappaw guessed. He drove her to the hospital and they wanted to keep her overnight to do tests.

Turns out she had series of TIA's, which the doctors call mini-strokes and are good in that they don't leave brain damage or lingering effects like full blown strokes do. So far all the bloodwork and scans and tests have come back fine. They will do more tests this morning to rule out any blockage, etc. and she can hopefully come home tonight.

Prayers are greatly appreciated. My grandparents are so healthy and active and I hope this doesn't have to change their lifestyle yet. They're still young! Though in my eyes they froze in time a good 15 years ago :)

I had gotten myself all worked up thinking this was going to drastically alter the life/freedom of one of my best friends - my grandma - but now it seems things are working out really really well. I hope that continues. But God has a plan regardless! I must trust that.

Have you had a priority shifter or life changer event in your life recently? What changed for you because of it?

4 comments:

Georgiana Daniels said...

No major life changers here--which is a good thing. I do however wish for the good kind of change.

Prayers for your Mammaw!

Trudi Rose said...

This summer my brother-in-law got a new teaching job, and it's five hours away. This means that my sister and two very adorable nephews (and the new little niece or nephew that will be arriving any day) are all going to be too far away. I've gotten used to being such a big part of their lives...and with this move that will change. However, I have learned to better appreciate the time that I do get to spend with them. Also, even though I have never been to the Duluth area, that doesn't mean that I can't make frequent visits in that direction a priority!

I'm glad that your grandma is doing okay, I'll be praying that she gets to go home today. :)

Unknown said...

My dad was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. My family is very close, and we were shocked by this news, especially since the doctors originally thought he just had gallstones (which he did have).
We've always spent a lot of time together, but our time is even more precious now. He's beating the odds so far in his fight, and we are so thankful for each day we get to hang out and make memories.

Unknown said...

My dad was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. My family is very close, and we were shocked by this news, especially since the doctors originally thought he just had gallstones (which he did have).
We've always spent a lot of time together, but our time is even more precious now. He's beating the odds so far in his fight, and we are so thankful for each day we get to hang out and make memories.