Saturday, January 16, 2010

Its raining cliches...



As an author, I'm trained to avoid cliches - avoid them like a prisoner avoids a bloodhound at a jailbreak!

(see that wasn't cliche, that was just corny. There's a difference.) =P

So it bugs me to use cliches in my every day writing, though of course at times, they slip in there like a banana peel on a -- see??!!?! -- but today, there simply isn't any other suitable phrase except "when it rains, it pours."

I could revise that to be more creative, as authors are instructed to do. Take a cliche and edit it a touch to give it a personal, unique spin. For example, instead of "when it rains, it pours", I could say "when it rains, it really rains." But that's worse. Or maybe "when it rains, it rains really hard." Again, bad. This is a hard exercise, and I have no Diet Coke handy, which makes it harder.

So, back to my point. Yesterday, it rained, and poured. My hubby is still waiting to hear about a fire department job, after his lay-off in December, and while we have positive leads, nothing is official yet. So we're squeaking by (another cliche) until he can get on somewhere.

Just when we think its going to work out money and timing wise, BOOM. Literally. His truck ball bearing joints break, quite violently, and we have a $600 repair bill after paying labor and various parts. =( And, oh yeah, the mechanic recommended we take it by a transmission shop sometime in the near future because there is a leak. Yay.

I realize this isn't a big deal, not compared to the health issues of family and friends around us, and especially not compared to a global tragedy like the situation in Haiti. I know God will provide for us, and in His timing, and in His way, not mine. I trust that, and Him. He's provided for us is tangible, miraculous ways before, and I refuse to assume He will stop now. By His grace, my faith is stronger than that.

So I wait. And blog. And drink Diet Coke. And read in my Bible all the stories about how he handled problems much bigger than mine, and quite successfully.

Still, I'm human, and some days I can't help but wish a couple of $100's would fall from the sky along with all the rain....

1 comment:

Eileen Astels Watson said...

It's been far too long since I've been over here. I'm praying for you and your family, Betsy.

Write, Betsy. Write lots and sell lots while raising that beautiful girl, and may $100's also rain down on you, and work positions for your husband come! God is watching over you all!