Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The inevitable head bob...

For all the authors and writers out there...have you ever been persecuted for your career? (or hobby, if you'd rather call it that depending on where you are)

Persecuted is a strong word. I mean, Paul and the apostles were persecuted, not so much myself!! But you know what I mean. I mean the eye-brow lift and simultaneous head tilt that often comes when you say you write romance novels. Then the immediate following head bob when you clarify that you write Christian romance novels. Then there's another eyebrow raise as you explain how that's not an oxymoron and soon you just feel dumb and they just look like a bobble head from all the pacifying nodding.

Any stories of a confession goes bad? Do you find people (in your family, your church, your grocery store, your workplace, etc.) think being an author or avid writer is "cool"? Or a waste of time? Or even a sin? I know for a fact there are Christian fiction authors who struggle with support within their own church because their pastor deems it ungodly for women to have a ministry at all, or for Christians to write fiction because "all fiction is bad", etc.

What have you experienced in this regard? Let's share!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Not many people around me even knew that I wrote. Now, that I have a book under contract, they're starting to find out. I definitely get the eyebrow raise when they ask what I write and I say romance. Some people laugh and think I'm joking. Oh well!

Erica Vetsch said...

Once a few years ago my pastor said something about the silliness of Christian Fiction from the pulpit.

He's since changed his tune, and he and his wife are great supporters of mine.

My church has been very supportive, and for the most part, they think my writing Christian fiction is cool.

Most often, when I tell strangers that I write historical romance, they automatically assume it's the medieval bodice rippers or lust on the prairie types. When I explain that it is Christian historical romance, they often remark that they had no idea there was such a thing...or they ask if I write Amish fiction...sigh.

Georgiana Daniels said...

I had an AP English teacher, a very well-read woman, ask me what on earth inspirational fiction even was. The librarian sitting next to her said she only recently found out herself, and always wondered what kind of people read that stuff. Oy!

Haelie said...

Even though I haven't officially launched a writing career, I can already tell that there are some in my family who may not see it as a credible career for me though they think it is a good thing for me to do as a hobby. There are others whom I can tell will be and already are very supportive of me branching out into writing as a career. Like you said, there are a variety of opinions on the subject. I just have to stand on knowing that the only opinion that really counts is that of my God who has called me to do this. He will support me and provide for my needs in every way as I obey Him and do this.